The reason why there are several gun-related incidents in America is for the simple fact that America is the most well-armed nation in the world. American citizens, alone, own about 270 million of the world's 875 million firearms. Another report stated that the United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens (Macinnis 2007). As...
... middle of paper ...
...ion." Legislative Digest. Rep. Stearns, Cliff, 16 November 2011. Web. 3 Mar. 2014
"Gun Control Overview." Congressional Digest 92.3 (2013): 3. MAS Ultra - School Edition. Web. 3 Mar. 2014.
Macinnis, Lauren. "U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people." Reuters, 28 August 2007. Web. 22 February 2014.
Stearns, Cliff. "H.R.822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 (Engrossed in House [Passed House] - EH)." thomas.loc.gov. Library of Congress, 18 Feb 2011. Web. 22 February 2014
National Rifle Association. "U.S. House of Representatives Adopts Right-to-Carry Reciprocity— All Anti-Gun Amendments Defeated!."nraila.org. National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action, 18 Nov 2011. Web. 22 February 2014
"Mental Health Checks When Purchasing a Gun."Workplace Prevention. The Workthreat Group, LLC, 28 August 2012. Web. 3 March 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Violence and crimes are growing in number and affecting American society. By reinforcing background checks we could reduce crimes and limit easy gun access to mentally ill people. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is a database where the names of people that have committed a misdemeanor, are mentally ill or drug abusers is kept to prevent them from attaining guns. Most criminals buy guns from unlicensed sellers at gun shows that don’t do properly background checks through the NICS, making it easier from criminals to purchase firearms.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1204 words (3.4 pages)
- ... Not too long ago, I recall President Obama making a statement about the most recent mass shooting that happened at a community college in Oregon. Obama seemed somber, sad, and angry as he spoke. His words stuck with me when he said these shootings have become routine and that we 've become numb to them. That was our president 's cry of frustration and a cry for change in our political system as well. Obama let America know he 's done his best at try to get stricter gun control when he said, "I would ask the American people to think about how they can get our government to change these laws and to save lives, and to let young people grow up.... [tags: Gun politics in the United States, Firearm]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- A shooting here; a shooting there; an every day occurrence heard in the newspapers and on the news channels on television. New media are reporting a shooting somewhere. Whether the shootings are accidental or intentional; they are happening across the United States. Nevertheless, in today’s society, gun violence is sparking debate and controversy on how to control gun violence. Throughout the country, thousands of laws and regulations have been created to aid in the control of guns. Through much study, the gun laws and regulations in place have very little effect on the number of gun related injuries and deaths.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1392 words (4 pages)
- ... Having a gun in the house can also be dangerous because of temperament, rage, and impulse because murder is usually a crime of passion. "If you or someone in your family has a hot temper that leads to rather violent reactions, you should not keep a gun around" (Cruit, 23). Guns are an easy solution to problems in and enraged person 's mind. They are quick and clean and most of all impersonal. Enraged people are impulsive and handguns make impulsive actions deadly. "In and all-too-typical case: A retired railroad worker in San Francisco who bought a gun to protect against muggers used it in 1982 to kill a neighbor in an argument over a parking space" (Isaacson, 163).... [tags: Firearm, Handgun, Gun, Cannon]
2078 words (5.9 pages)
- ... Having guns on campus doesn’t have a large beneficial outcome to containing guns in the U.S. It leaves room for people to still slip through the faults we already have with containing our guns. Keeping guns off college campuses allows the government to have more visual on illegal guns out in the communities. For example, in 2015, there was an on-campus shooting at Savannah State University where a student was shoot and killed. Non-registered guns are more of an issue for underage citizens. More and more teens have access to guns.... [tags: Firearm, Weapon, Gun politics]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- ... A background check is generally a further investigation on one 's criminal and financial records. Background check requirements vary depending on their purpose. Specifically, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System is a United States system used for deciding if desired firearm and explosive buyers are worthy of buying. Some people believe that the requirements behind this system are to easily determinable; others disagree. The process of this particular system is surprisingly somewhat easy.... [tags: Firearm, Gun politics]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Gun control is one of the biggest debates that America is currently facing today. The reason why this topic concerns many Americans is because of the crime that is related from it. FBI data shows approximately 70,975 homicides were committed in America from 2006 to 2010 from various different types of firearms (Wenzel, 2012). That 's 14,195 on average per year homicides from firearms. Only 9,075 came from knives and other sharp objects, which equate to about 1815 homicide a year. Firearms are the number one tool being used in America for homicides.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Handgun, Crime]
1794 words (5.1 pages)
- ... The person accused of violence gets a fair trial within two weeks to decide whether the restraining order will remain in place for a year, where a judge will renew it if needed. A judge examines evidence that includes witness testimonies, photos of damaged property, and threatening messages. Then the judge “decides at a hearing attended by both parties whether to terminate the order and return the subject’s firearms and ammunition, or extend the order for a year” (Lopez, 2015, para. 9). The GVRO will be entered into the national background check system so the person may also not buy guns during the year his or her GVRO is effective.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Projectile, Handgun]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- ... If an individual doesn’t have a weapon to commit a heinous act then those are lives saved. The prevention is better than the cure, to put that in a practical sense if you buy a phone case you won’t have to pay for it to get fixed when it breaks. With that being said if only trained officials had the opportunity to have lethal weapons that would eliminate the risk of people getting killed by lethal weapons. On the contrary if we did eliminate all lethal weapons people who experience home break-ins won’t be able to defend themselves from an attacker.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Weapon]
1099 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Officials from across the country all agree that the selling of guns must be kept watch better in the future to prevent the use of illegal firearms. Furthermore, after taking a look at the ownership of guns, it was conclusive that it was only part of the problem, every year over 100,000 civilians are injured in the US. That's only civilians, criminals are more likely to be at the wrong end of a shooting, partly because of their involvement with other criminals. People think that guns are mainly used to kill others, but they were more involved in the killing of the shooter himself.... [tags: US and global gun distribution control]
1831 words (5.2 pages)
- Effects of Computer System Innovation on the Quality of Teaching Performance
- The Effects of Color on Memory
- Edgar Allan Poe and the Horror Story
- Kate Chopin’s The Awakening, and Harriet Ann Jacobs’ Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Queen Elizabeth Woodville
- Vladimir Christianizes Russia, by Serge Zenkovsky