Glee is a show that features fictional high school students from different races, religions, and sexual orientations among both genders. The show places considerable influences on male and female sexualities towards the same sex and places basic stereotypes towards men and women. In the show, it is shown that many of the male protagonists are, in fact, homosexual. The show Glee places a strong emphasis on homosexuality and cross gender, between both genders. The show also portrays the typical masculine high school athlete, shows how a homosexual male can maintain his masculine appearance, depicts how one's gender is not always easy to determine and depicts women as mere sexual objects.
When watching the show viewers are immediately drawn to the major focus of homosexuality, specifically, between the male genders. In many episodes, there are numerous scenes where two male characters, called Kurt and Blaine, kiss. In the show, Kurt is represented as a flamboyant homosexual and seems to reinforce that same sex gender is one of the various target audiences for the show. Kurt has a passion for women’s make-up and female fashion, even though he is male. Such activity in the show does garner many adverse reactions and is not accepted among many of Kurt’s peers. For instance, because of Kurt’s take on a female identity gender; he is often bullied by the football team, his classmates and even teachers. Though despite the mistreatment Kurt often receives, the show celebrates and welcomes the idea of homosexuality between both genders, and at times encourage it. The show implies that homosexual males such as Kurt should be bullied and belittled in the belief that being attracted to the same gender is not considered normal.
Though the sho...
... middle of paper ...
...eir gender, this portrayal of women suggests that the target audience for these female characters is towards young male viewers. The show constructs the idea that femininity is the epitome of gorgeous looks and erratic behavior. Many of the females in the show also depend on men in some way for affirmation of their looks, personality and talent.
In conclusion, Glee is a show that builds upon conventional and unconventional understandings of gender, sex, and sexuality among males and females. The show teaches its audience to be more tolerant to those regardless of their selection of sexuality towards any gender. The show cinematically displays male masculinity as the dominant power structure and femininity as the inferior one. Despite the show confining both genders to basic stereotypes, such as masculinity and femininity, it presents them in an entertaining way.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In Donald Barthelme’s novel Snow White, the main character Snow White contradicts the traits of a stereotypical 1960’s housewife. These traits, given to her by the author, differ from a typical 1960s housewife in appearance, demeanor, and priorities. The purpose of Barthelme’s presentation of Snow White in this manner is to expose the limitations of society’s gender roles rampant in the 1960s. In Barthelme’s novel Snow White, the protagonist, Snow White, is a 22 year old woman living with seven men.... [tags: Donald Barthelme]
975 words (2.8 pages)
- ... He then moved to Manhattan and began to seek out connections with the most influential people of the area (“Donald Trump”). Once he made these connections he began the start of his real estate empire. These large building projects would produce extreme profits, as well as several opportunities for Trump and his organization. In 1974, Donald Trump obtained one of the Penn central’s hotels, the Commodore. This hotel was sinking in debt dramatically, and losing profit. Although, Trump saw that this hotel was in the perfect location; the hotel was adjacent to the Grand Central Station.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Donald Trump, Jr.]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Donald the Demagogue: Donald J. Trump, is known to many as the orange man who wags his finger down a long table of celebrities firing them left and right every Sunday night on NBC. To others he is known as the billionaire tycoon, who graces our headlines for remarkably insensitive or oddball remarks. All (not even possibly Mr. Trump himself), at least until now, viewed him as a possible candidate for the next President of the United States. But as polls indicate, and citizens across the country (both moderate and conservative) vote in favor of Trump, he may very well be sitting in the oval office come January 20th, 2017.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Fred Trump]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- ... More money in your pocket sounds like a good thing right. People do not realize that a drastic change like getting rid of our taxing system means the abolishment of governmeant assistance. There will be no more welfare, social security, health care, war prevention, etc. Essentially, the poor will get poorer and the rich will get richer. His immigration policy has to be the most ridiculous. "I would build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me -- and I 'll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border," Trump said.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Mexico]
1064 words (3 pages)
- ... He won the party’s primaries for California and Michigan, and named Oprah Winfrey as his Vice President, but dropped from the race on February 14, 2000. He left the party completely later citing his reasons as Jesse Ventura leaving the party, and the joining of David Duke (“a Klansman”), Pat Buchanan (“a Neo-Nazi”), and Lenora Fulani (“a communist”). Unmistakably, Trump has been planning his 2016 run for almost 30 years, and now he’s on the warpath with billions in his treasure chest, fame and name-recognition, and in his mind, the right political climate.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, The Apprentice]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Research Paper "Everything is uglier up close." Donald Trump is the front runner of the 2016 race for the Republican Nomination. Placing no consideration on the views of the ring wing conservatives, but rather just making a decision based off of how Donald Trump conducts himself, both in the present and past, Donald would not make America great again. Many situations and people look well off from a distance, yet most of the time the prettiest faces hide the worst secrets, the person who speaks the loudest is the most desperate to be heard, and someone who says they tell the truth are the most likely to lie.... [tags: Democracy, United States, Donald Trump, Voting]
2721 words (7.8 pages)
- An Analytical View of Say Yes by Tobias Wolff "Say Yes" is an emotional sorry of love and its pitfalls. The husband loves his wife dearly but fails to really know that all she wants to hear is affirmation of her proposal of love despite the racial undertone involve. The Husband does not come to the realization of this concept until the end of the story when he accepts the proposal and puts forth the effort to "make it up" to Ann The story begins around dusk, one evening in a non descript kitchen on El Camino Street in some unnamed American ghetto.... [tags: Papers]
665 words (1.9 pages)
- What is wrong about Donald Black's theory of law. In his book on ?The Behavior of Law. Donald Black attempts to describe and explain the conduct of law as a social phenomenon. His theory of law does not consider the purpose, value, impact of law, neither proposes any kind of solutions, guidance or judgment; it plainly ponders on the behavior of law. The author grounds his theory purely on sociology and excludes the psychology of the individual from his assumptions on the behavior of law (Black 7).... [tags: The Behavior of Law by Donald Black]
1247 words (3.6 pages)
- Analytical View of Garbage Collection in Solid State Media File Systems 1.0 Overview Solid State media's such as flash memory are non-volatile computer memory that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. These are specific types of EEPROM's that are erased and programmed in large blocks. Flash memory is non-volatile, which means that it does not need power to maintain the information stored in the chip. In addition, flash memory offers fast read access times and better kinetic shock resistance than hard disks (Table 1).... [tags: Data Technology Technical Computer Science]
1886 words (5.4 pages)
- The construction last year of a shopping mall in downtown Oak City was a mistake. Since the mall has opened, a number of local businesses have closed, and the downtown area suffers from an acute parking shortage. Arrests for crime and vagrancy have increased in nearby Oak City Park. Elm City should pay attention to the example of the Oak City Mall and deny the application to build a shopping mall in Elm City. Analyzing this argument brings up a lot of questions to whether this is a relevant argument or not.... [tags: Analytical Essays]
664 words (1.9 pages)
- Hunting’s Negative Effects: The Big Horn Sheep
- The Caribbean Current Political System
- Providing Cycle-only Paths to Cyclists Improves Security
- American Schools and Shooting Incidents: The Massacre of The Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012
- The Phenomenal Discovery of Vitamins and Citrus Fruits
- Keeping Prostitution Illegal Leads to Crime