Furthermore, the story must be noted for its simplicity, and vast metaphoric symbolism. Welty uses the path and its obstacles as a form of inspirational aura, one could even say the path is a mirrored image of the difficulties one endures throughout life’s frightening journey. The obstacles are intended to portray the barriers, the risks, and the setbacks one may encounter from day to day life. Moving onward, one could easily compare “A Worn Path” to the life of the average person, and in-turn, the obstacles that individual must overcome in order to provide for his or her loved ones. For example, every individual follows the same routine daily in the conquest of life’s necessities and in the pursuit of happiness, just as Phoenix follows her ritual path day after day. Still, despite the prior verity that everyone travels down a habitual path nearly every day, this however, does not constitute the notion that the individual will encounter the exact same circumstances and obstacles daily. While some obstacles are there to stay, others may come and go allowing the individual to learn from his or her past experiences. What’s more is that one never knows what to expect from day to day life. Despite the element of surprise, on the other hand ...
... middle of paper ...
...s, Phoenix isn’t a charity case at all, for she is far from this epitome. Phoenix accomplishes more in one day than most individuals could ever even dream of.
“A Worn Path,” is an inspirational tale of the journey of an elderly woman who goes by the name of Phoenix Jackson. Miss Phoenix Jackson inspires all of us that we can endure and overcome life’s difficulties. In the story, Phoenix shows that with an immense amount of hope, sheer determination, and inexhaustible exertion, that anyone despite their physical and mental attributes can overcome and endure whatever obstacles are positioned in their way.
Welty, Eudora. “A Worn Path.” 1941. Literature: An Introduction to Reading and
Writing. Ed. Edgar V. Roberts, Ed. Henry E. Jacobs. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc., 2006. 110-15.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Literary Essay - A Worn Path “Authors use setting to create meaning, just as painters use backgrounds and objects to render ideas.” - Literary Anthology. The setting of "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty, takes place on a cold December morning during the 1940 's. In "A Worn Path", the setting allows readers to grasp a better understanding of various components which make up the story. The components are the character qualities, symbols and the mood and atmosphere. The path the main character, Phoenix, follows to the city and what she endures through her journey shows what kind of person Phoenix is and the true qualities of her character.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Fiction, Short story]
1465 words (4.2 pages)
- While symbols are everywhere in the world, some are well known and others are unfamiliar. Like, in Eudora Welty’s vividly imaginative short story, “A Worn Path”, symbolism can be seen throughout. “A Worn Path” tells the tale of Phoenix Jackson-an African American woman-who deals with the oppression from whites during the mid-1900’s. Phoenix Jackson’s grandson has swallowed Lye and it is time for her to obtain his medicine from town. She begins her journey to town on a cold early morning in December.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Symbol, White people]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- In Eudora Welty’s, “A Worn Path” Phoenix Jackson went great lengths risking her own life for her grandson, who couldn’t help himself. On her worn path she faced the world with courage. Although she faced difficulty in her early life, her faith remained the same to help those who were dear to her heart. She walk a worn path relentlessly facing obstacles along the way with a mind that is diminishing overtime. Through the problems that she is faced with, she remains humble. She is admirable because considering her old age, weakness and loss of memory, she is determined.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Short story, Natchez]
1386 words (4 pages)
- Nancy Wood Professor LaBossiere Enc 1102 20 Nov 2015 A Worn Path By Eudora Welty A Worn Path is a short story that incorporates the themes of love and determination. The story reveals in its theme the love an old Negro woman had for her sick grandson, and the determination she had to complete the task she set for herself. The title itself suggests that the path taken many times which suggests determination. The author Eudora Welty grew up in the south, and witnessed the hard lives the people of color faced during the depression, and the determination they had was the theme of many of her stories.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Short story]
1176 words (3.4 pages)
- This paper focuses on two stories written by two writers during in the nineteenth-century period to explore differences or similarities in their writing. Specifically, the current paper compares and contrasts how Eudora Welty and Kate Chopin convey issues in their society by considering the use of language, themes, point of view, and characterization in A Worn Path and Regret respectively. Critics have lauded Eudora Welty’s knack for creating art out of everyday experiences that touched her life.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Narrative]
1752 words (5 pages)
- Everyday people encounter challenges that stand in their way of achieving their goals, but with sheer determination most accomplish their mission. In the short story “A Worn Path” written by Eudora Welty, Phoenix Jackson, the main character, has a mission to complete while confronting many challenges. One way to convey this idea is with the literary use of theme. The theme of a literary work is defined as the central idea, concern or message about life that an author wishes to convey to his/her readers.... [tags: Determination, Worn Path, Eudora Welty, ]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" Throughout time, people have traveled the trodden course of life, overcoming obstacles along the way and grasping onto hope to strengthen their steps. In her short story “A Worn Path”, Eudora Welty communicates this timeless theme through the protagonist, Phoenix, who has traveled this path many times. Through her usage of dialogue and symbolism, Welty illustrates the lasting concept that people conquer hardships in life and ultimately prevail. Welty utilizes dialogue to portray how others belittle Phoenix and attempt to destroy her dignity in vain.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's 'A Worn Path' is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. As the story begins, we are introduced to our main character, Phoenix Jackson; she is described as a small, old Negro woman. I believe that the name Eudora Welty gives our main character is very symbolic. The legend of the Phoenix is about a fabled sacred bird of ancient Egyptians. The bird is said to come out of Arabia every 500 years to Heliopolis, where it burned itself on the altar and rose again from its ashes, young and beautiful.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays Papers]
1353 words (3.9 pages)
- The Character of Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path 'A Worn Path' is the tale of the unstoppable love and care of a grandmother for her grandchild. Phoenix Jackson is Eudora Welty's main character and protagonist in A Worn Path.. Phoenix is an old, frail woman who attempts to proceed on a long and treacherous journey through the woods to Natchez. Phoenix strives forward despite frequent obstacles in her way that include her own failing health and her grandchild's slim chance of survival.... [tags: Worn Path essays Welty]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Realism in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. The main character in the story, Phoenix Jackson, is an old black woman who seeks out to find medicine for her sick nephew. This story contains a motif, which is the continuous walking of Phoenix Jackson throughout her journey. She lives in the pinewoods and faces the challenging experience of walking through the snowy, frozen earth to get to the hospital in the city of Natchez.... [tags: Worn Path Essays Eudora Welty Papers]
1236 words (3.5 pages)