Essay PreviewMore ↓
One aspect of determination is the bravery to keep going no matter what may happen, which Phoenix displays often throughout the story. When Phoenix was attacked by a large black dog on her way to town, the elderly woman was unfazed. While some people would have panicked, Phoenix simply laid ?there and presently went to talking. ?Old woman,? she said to herself, ?that black dog come up out of the weeds to stall you off, and now there he sitting on his fine tail, smiling at you??. Phoenix?s reaction to the dog was one of good humor, which shows that even though she was startled, she was not flustered in the face of danger.
After being tackled by the large dog, a hunter with a dog of his own comes along and rescues the Phoenix. After the hunter had shooed the large dog away, he pointed the barrel of his gun directly at Phoenix. She was unfazed and if anything she stood up straighter. When the hunter asked if the gun scared her, she replied, ?No, sir, I seen plenty go off closer by, in my day, and for less than what I done.? Phoenix?s bold statement hints at her probably tragic past, which undoubtedly shaped her to become the woman she is today.
Determination alone is not enough to accomplish a task. Motivation is needed as well. For Phoenix, she has her grandson, who needs medicine from town or else he could not breathe. At the doctor?s office, the nurse explained to the attendant the ?she doesn?t come for herself- she has a little grandson. She makes these trips just as regular as clockwork.? Phoenix, even in her old age, travels that long way in every kind of weather, just to ensure her young grandson?
How to Cite this Page
"Phoenix Jackson's Story in A Worn Path." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Jan 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Character of Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path 'A Worn Path' is the tale of the unstoppable love and care of a grandmother for her grandchild. Phoenix Jackson is Eudora Welty's main character and protagonist in A Worn Path.. Phoenix is an old, frail woman who attempts to proceed on a long and treacherous journey through the woods to Natchez. Phoenix strives forward despite frequent obstacles in her way that include her own failing health and her grandchild's slim chance of survival.... [tags: Worn Path essays Welty]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- "Little by little, one walks far." Peruvian Proverb As this cherished saying from Peru is implying, great things never happen in single leaps. It takes small steps, and plenty of determination, to get to the end. Phoenix Jackson, an elderly African-American, is a great example of this proverb as she walks that long distance to town, determination in her every step. Even in her old age Phoenix is a shining example of what can be accomplished with determination. Phoenix?s unwavering determination is clearly evidenced in her reaction to the dog, in her meeting with the hunter, and in her personal battle of age.... [tags: essays research papers]
494 words (1.4 pages)
- In the short stories of, A Worn Path and A Rose for Emily, you are able to see many similarities as well as differences between the two main characters. When you take a look at the morals of the stories you are able to have better understanding of what took place with the two characters, Miss Emily and Phoenix Jackson. One of the main pictures you see about these characters is that they are both mentally crazy. Though the locations are very different they still connect on a different level. Phoenix is walking to town to buy some medicine for her Grandson, while Emily is locked in her house with a dead man.... [tags: miss emily, phoenix jackson]
541 words (1.5 pages)
- In the story “A Worn Path” uses a continuous number of literary techniques and there is an overflow of symbolism. In the story everything symbolizes an object symbolism is when an object in the story can relate to something. Symbolism is a literary technique that adds meaning to a story by using an event or object as a symbol to represent something else. Phoenix Jackson represents the most important thing in the story the ancient Egyptian bird the Phoenix. The story “A Worn Path” takes place in December 1941.... [tags: natchez, phoenix jackson, circle of life]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- When using symbolism in a story, in a movie or in life in general it helps you understand the meaning of it and lets you get deep inside the topic for a better understanding. Symbolism is a person place or thing that can be interpreted in a different way. A example of symbolism can be related to the religious world. Many people see a tiny edible piece as just another item to eat, but Catholics that attend church see it as a religious piece that symbolizes the body of Christ. You will also see symbolism when you see a navy blue star or when you see a eagle face, a football fan may look at that star as The Dallas Cowboys Team and the eagles head as the Philadelphia Eagles Team.... [tags: scarecrow, phoenix jackson, marble cake]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Today we will be talking about the different literary references used throughout Eudora Welty’s “A Worn Path”. I will explain and decode different techniques used by the author throughout her story. The story is of an old southern African American woman, named Phoenix Jackson, making her way into to town to pick up her grandsons medication from the doctor’s office. But this is no normal old woman. She cannot see and is picking her way with a cane to make her way across a barrage of obstacles. Throughout her journey she comes upon different characters and situations, from these events we will draw our interpretations of the symbolism embedded within the tale.... [tags: phoenix jackson, egyptian bird]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- “A Worn Path” is a story about an African American woman named Phoenix Jackson who travels through the wilderness and faces obstacles to get medicine for her grandson who is ill. In the short story “A Worn Path” Eudora Welty used a manifold of literary techniques in order to convey a deeper meaning of her story. Although there were multiple techniques used, symbolism was the most used and overbearing in the passage. Symbolism is the use of objects or characters that are used to represent something greater such as an idea or event in history.... [tags: phoenix jackson, white hunter, slavery]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Symbolism, it can be used for many things, such as expressing meaning, feelings, or emotions through an object by the author. It can be simple things that can show such emotion. Even flowers can have symbolic references, such as Roses. A rose symbolizes romance and love. A Lillie may stand for beauty of temptation. But not all symbols may have a positive reference to it. Example “These emotions are holding me down as if chains her tugging at my every move”. This shows that the character of this situation is being held down by chains that are giving her a hard time and or trapped because of these symbolic chains.... [tags: phoenix jackson, roses, romance, love]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- As Kurt Vonnegut states in Breakfast of Champions, “Symbols can be so beautiful, sometimes,” show that without symbols stories and even life is boring and not beautiful (. Everything need symbolic connections in order to become deep and beautiful. Eudora Welty’s short story “A Worn Path” show how greatly symbols help make stories become very beautiful and symbolic to a person. In “A Worn Path” an elderly women, Phoenix Jackson, is making a trip to town to get medicine for her grandson. All of the symbols in Welty story all help grow and turn “A Worn Path” into a beautifully written story.... [tags: literature, phoenix jackson]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Symbolism is a characteristic that stands out in a person or thing. People usually use symbolism for something that means to them or represents to them. The symbols are used for many things, for example the apple on the iphone, laptop or iPod symbolizes the brand. Symbols are also used in churches, for example the cross symbolizes Jesus Christ. It symbolizes how he was crucified, put to death on a cross. The colors symbolize something’s to for example the colors white, red and blue symbolize freedom in the United States, it also represents the United States flag.... [tags: phoenix jackson, thorn bush, the white hunters]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
Thanks to Phoenix Jackson?s great journey, ?A Worn Path? is an inspiring story about how far determination can get a person. Both bravery and motivation were a great drive for Phoenix, and it can help the people of today learn what can be accomplished with some motivation. New feats could be reached, old records could be shattered, and lives could be changed forever when people understand just how powerful determination can affect one?s life.