Love is a strong force. Love can make a person do strange and sometimes heroic things. Eudora Welty introduces us to Phoenix Jackson in "A Worn Path," a story about the love that a woman feels for her grandson. Through the actions of Phoenix Jackson, the reader learns that love can conquer anything. This theme is demonstrated through Phoenix's determination, her ability to overcome obstacles, and her reaction to the employees at the clinic.
Phoenix Jackson is an old woman. The politically correct term "elderly" does not accurately describe just how old she is. She does not see well anymore, she walks with a cane to assist her unsteady gait, and she occasionally imagines objects that are not truly there. Despite her age and the frailtie...
... middle of paper ...
...strong. She makes this treacherous trip all the way into town to get his medicine so that he may live another six months, and she still has to make the journey in reverse to get it back home to him.
Welty, Eudora. "A Worn Path" Literature and the Writing Process. Elizabeth McMahan, Susan X Day, and Robert Funk. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice, 1999. 363-368.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The story “A Worn Path” by Eudora Welty tells the narrative of Phoenix Jackson, an extremely aged African American woman who lived in the Mississippi. Phoenix lives in a quiet rural area with her one and only grandson, whom she cares for. Two years ago her grandson swallowed lye and his throat has yet to heal. This torment sends dear old Phoenix out to the country into town to see the doctor to inquire about getting some more soothing medicine to help the healing process. During this particular journey, she encounters many stumbling blocks, real-life hardships, temptations, lies, aggressions and racism.... [tags: Slavery, Racism]
553 words (1.6 pages)
- Can Love Conquer All. A Worn Path by Eudora Welty There are many authors in this world. Every author has a unique way of expressing their writing. Eudora Welty is the author of “A Worn Path.” She has written many short stories and novels. She was born April 13, 1909 and died July 23, 2001. Eudora Welty wrote “A Worn Path” in 1941.Eudora Welty passed away, but left us with some of the most admired pieces of writing. One of the most popular short stories was “A Worn Path.” “A Worn Path” is a short story about strength, goals and love.... [tags: Literary Analysis]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Nancy Wood Professor LaBossiere Enc 1102 20 Nov 2015 A Worn Path By Eudora Welty A Worn Path is a short story that incorporates the themes of love and determination. The story reveals in its theme the love an old Negro woman had for her sick grandson, and the determination she had to complete the task she set for herself. The title itself suggests that the path taken many times which suggests determination. The author Eudora Welty grew up in the south, and witnessed the hard lives the people of color faced during the depression, and the determination they had was the theme of many of her stories.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Short story]
1176 words (3.4 pages)
- Literary Essay - A Worn Path “Authors use setting to create meaning, just as painters use backgrounds and objects to render ideas.” - Literary Anthology. The setting of "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty, takes place on a cold December morning during the 1940 's. In "A Worn Path", the setting allows readers to grasp a better understanding of various components which make up the story. The components are the character qualities, symbols and the mood and atmosphere. The path the main character, Phoenix, follows to the city and what she endures through her journey shows what kind of person Phoenix is and the true qualities of her character.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Fiction, Short story]
1465 words (4.2 pages)
- While symbols are everywhere in the world, some are well known and others are unfamiliar. Like, in Eudora Welty’s vividly imaginative short story, “A Worn Path”, symbolism can be seen throughout. “A Worn Path” tells the tale of Phoenix Jackson-an African American woman-who deals with the oppression from whites during the mid-1900’s. Phoenix Jackson’s grandson has swallowed Lye and it is time for her to obtain his medicine from town. She begins her journey to town on a cold early morning in December.... [tags: Eudora Welty, A Worn Path, Symbol, White people]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Symbolism, it can be used for many things, such as expressing meaning, feelings, or emotions through an object by the author. It can be simple things that can show such emotion. Even flowers can have symbolic references, such as Roses. A rose symbolizes romance and love. A Lillie may stand for beauty of temptation. But not all symbols may have a positive reference to it. Example “These emotions are holding me down as if chains her tugging at my every move”. This shows that the character of this situation is being held down by chains that are giving her a hard time and or trapped because of these symbolic chains.... [tags: phoenix jackson, roses, romance, love]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Everyday people encounter challenges that stand in their way of achieving their goals, but with sheer determination most accomplish their mission. In the short story “A Worn Path” written by Eudora Welty, Phoenix Jackson, the main character, has a mission to complete while confronting many challenges. One way to convey this idea is with the literary use of theme. The theme of a literary work is defined as the central idea, concern or message about life that an author wishes to convey to his/her readers.... [tags: Determination, Worn Path, Eudora Welty, ]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- The Character of Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path 'A Worn Path' is the tale of the unstoppable love and care of a grandmother for her grandchild. Phoenix Jackson is Eudora Welty's main character and protagonist in A Worn Path.. Phoenix is an old, frail woman who attempts to proceed on a long and treacherous journey through the woods to Natchez. Phoenix strives forward despite frequent obstacles in her way that include her own failing health and her grandchild's slim chance of survival.... [tags: Worn Path essays Welty]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Strength of Love in A Worn Path In the story A Worn Path, Eudora Welty shows an old woman living in a time period where racial prejudice is rampant and out of control. Phoenix Jackson is a grandmother whose only motivation for living is to nurture her grandson back to health. The strength of love may make people do or say unusual and implausible things. The central idea of this story is that love can empower someone to over come many life-threatening obstacles. The idea is shown when an old woman conquers all odds against her to show her everlasting love for her grandson.... [tags: A Worn Path essays]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Realism in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. The main character in the story, Phoenix Jackson, is an old black woman who seeks out to find medicine for her sick nephew. This story contains a motif, which is the continuous walking of Phoenix Jackson throughout her journey. She lives in the pinewoods and faces the challenging experience of walking through the snowy, frozen earth to get to the hospital in the city of Natchez.... [tags: Worn Path Essays Eudora Welty Papers]
1236 words (3.5 pages)